LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

Thanksgiving 2007

Here, the leaves are ablaze with color.


Last week, it finally got cold enough to build a fire in the fireplace. This week, temperatures are mild again.

Tomorrow, we will have a roasted turkey and some simple trimmings.

We’ll be home. Just us. Together.

No mad rush. No endless parade of casseroles.

Just us, a few special treats and family.

For me, it’s the way I really ENJOY holidays.

I get to focus on the meaning of our time together.

It allows me to think about the truly important things . . .

Instead of whether or not I’ll hurt someone’s feelings by bringing the wrong dish . . .

Or wondering if I’ll get it all packed into the car or on the table on time . . .

We will sing some hymns of Thanksgiving.

We will remember those who have and are purchasing our freedom with their lives.

We will remember those who survived that first winter with prayer and hope and GRATITUDE for the opportunity – the freedom – to serve HIM.

He truly is worthy, you know.

It’s easy to get sidetracked with the world’s perception of Him.

We recently viewed a promotional DVD of a ministry that detailed several miraculous events. With each testimony, they mentioned God, but were careful to insert the name of their ministry and how THEY were an avenue of blessing.

It made me sad and angry. I was sad to think of the hurting searching masses who will be deceived, because they will grasp at anything that sounds good. I was angry to see Him portrayed as nothing more than a way to get what we want (as long as you support the right religion).

He is God.

He is a Person.

He has freely given us good things . . .

Because He LOVES,

Because He chooses to,

Because He is good,

And He is God!

He is worthy of our praise.

He is deserving of our gratitude.

For the invisible things of him from
the creation of the world are clearly seen,
being understood by the things that are made,
even his eternal power and Godhead;
so that they are without excuse:
Because that,
when they knew God,
they glorified him not as God,
neither were thankful;
but became vain in their imaginations,
and their foolish heart was darkened.
Professing themselves to be wise,
they became fools,

Romans 1:20-22

I’m thankful for the needs – and so much more – He has supplied.

I’m thankful for the way He patiently teaches me.

I’m thankful that He loves me beyond my ability to comprehend.

I’m thankful for the blessings of home, family, friends and so much more.

I’m thankful for hope:

Hope that isn’t marred by circumstances,

Hope that remains certain in the uncertainties,

Hope that is bigger than my failings,

Hope that is dependant upon His virtue, not mine.

I’m thankful that He has changed me, and He continues to do so.

I used to think He was transforming me into someone I wasn’t,

But now, I don’t know, I think He may be putting into place that which He had in mind from the beginning.

And I’m amazed, astounded really, to see the stuff of my life that His touch makes new.

How could I not be grateful?

And he that sat upon the throne said,
Behold, I make all things new.
And he said unto me,
Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Revelation 21:5

The heavens declare his righteousness,
and all the people see his glory.

Psalm 97:6

If you’re away from home and feeling adrift.
Look up. Look at the sky.
Listen to the heavens.
They have a message for you.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh