LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

Little Girls

The running joke around our house is that there are four things we don't know how to make: blue eyes, blond hair, curls or GIRLS.

Besides the dog, I am the only female in this family. And she seems to think that the men are far more interesting -- unless I'm preparing a meal. In which case, she becomes my best friend.

So, it's been a new experience for me to have a little girl around during the day these last few weeks. Princess J decided I was an amazing person when found out that I knew how to find and print coloring sheets of princesses for her (thank you, Google).

For the first couple of days, I figured she was just a more feminine version of my boys. I mean, she was noisy like the boys, she liked to run off her excess energy like the boys, she liked to be in charge and direct things (just like my boys), she even enjoyed running around in a cowboy hat and getting dirty.

I did notice some differences. Princess J LOVES color. ESPECIALLY PINK ! Princess J also loves coloring. The fact that I am stocked with art supplies, colored pencils AND crayons somehow elevated me in her view.

Now, my boys know how to color, but they viewed it as a type of punishment. The boys eyed my enthusiastic attempts to get them to join in with suspicion and would eagerly look for alternative means of entertainment.

Well, I should say that this was their attitude before Princess J waved her magic scepter (yes, she really does have a flashing butterfly wand . . . or did, until her brother broke it). Something about the enthusiasm of a 4 year old princess charms and convinces little boys that whatever she is doing with such abandon MUST be fun. Suddenly, crayons and pencils that had been gathering dust are now being used to the nub. I can't print out art pages fast enough. We are reveling in the joy of tape, paper, scissors, glue, glitter, and COLOR. My sons are now budding artists and ENJOY it.

I think I need one of those magic scepters.

She has even cast her spell on me. I noticed that one of her favorite toys is an old plastic tackle box filled with plastic tools and a utility apron that my boys had tossed to the side. She decided that this was a treasure. I saw her with it and figured that she was going to explore the world of woodworking or something similar.

Little did I know.

Princess J donned the apron and approached me with her charm as I was looking through the mail one day. She had what I thought was the tackle box with her. Gently she took my hands and began to apply the plastic pliers, screw driver and clamps to my fingers.

I was getting a manicure! Princess J had transformed the tackle box, plastic tools and apron into a manicurist's kit and my living room into a beauty parlor. She was quite complimentary, telling me how beautiful my hands were now that she had applied her talents. Her touch was feather light. I was transfixed.

Long ago, I had given up hope of having dainty things in my home. Decorative accents were something to be bumped, played with, broken, taken apart, or creatively used. I accepted that loving my family meant keeping everything simple and washable.

Oh! In that moment with Princess J, I started to dream of lace, china tea sets, and all things girlie.

I wouldn't trade any of my men. They enrich (and enliven) my life to no end.

But thank you, Princess J, for reminding me that there is a lot to love about being a girl!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory,
and for a diadem of beauty,
unto the residue of his people

Isaiah 28:5



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh