LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

"I am glad you think it is an adventure..."

That's what my adopted brother emailed me today.

He's been on the rough end of a roller coaster ride lately. We had a technical glitch or two on our end, but nothing big. I'm not sure if he thinks I'm delusional, unconcerned, blissfully ignorant or if he's proud of me (I HOPE it's THAT one *wink*).
Hmmmm?

Well, I'd like to think that I'm peacefully informed.

You see, I used to have a long list of things that would ruin my day. Most of them had to do with how much nicer my life would be if only _______ would do (or not do) _______. In retrospect, they were all little uncontrollable annoyances. I let them rob me of my joy.

But then, we had some setbacks. My husband lost his baby sister to cancer. My younger brother died a couple of years later. There were financial difficulties. Our oldest son had some struggles that required us to take a plane trip 3 days after 9/11. Our youngest son was born with Down syndrome. We didn't find out that's what he had for 4 1/2 months. Oh, and that was at the same time we found out that he had a HUGE hole in his heart and would need surgery IMMEDIATELY.

Something about sleeping in the ICU waiting room during Christmas time, waiting to hear whether or not a child you aren't sure you know how to raise has survived having his chest opened by a man you only met once rearranges your priorities.

That year, we didn't put up any decorations, there wasn't the mad dash of gifts, food, fellowship & etc. We were just grateful to be home, together, ALIVE. While we were still unnerved by thoughts of what the future would hold, it was the BEST Christmas EVER. We focused on each other and thanked God for the things that mattered.

That's why I laugh when someone apologizes for not getting back to me sooner. That's why I don't mind the peaceful wait to see the doctor (it's a break, for me). That's why I don't mind waiting in line or letting someone go ahead of me.

Life is precious. It's a gift. The joys are to be sought out and enjoyed and relished. I get to decide if it's a tragedy or an adventure. My children will read their fate in my eyes. Why wouldn't I choose hope?

I have the Potter. He offers me more than the ability to endure. He brings purpose, joy, HOPE and a future! I choose HOPE!

I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh