LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

Beans 101

Beans, nuts grains and seeds are tiny testimonies of creation’s
wondrous design. All of these foods are types of seeds. Seeds are little machines that contain digestive enzyme inhibitors (known as phytic acids). These enzyme inhibitors prevent the seed from sprouting out of season or in less than ideal conditions. This allows for the seeds to be ingested by animals without being digested completely. The seeds then exit the animal and are ‘planted’ elsewhere.

If these enzyme inhibitors are left intact and consumed by humans, they can stop our own digestive enzymes from operating properly. In serious cases, this can lead to an imbalance of – or neutralization of – our own digestive enzymes. In ideal conditions, this may only cause occasional gas and discomfort. However, in a person exposed to today’s environmental assaults, it can easily domino into impaired health.

The process of germination neutralizes the enzyme inhibitors and releases the enzymes so that the seed will sprout. These same enzymes aid in the digestion of the food.

Sprouting beans produces vitamin C and changes the composition of the bean. The vitamin B content is increased along with carotene. The removal of phytic acid (enzyme inhibitors) through sprouting means that valuable minerals and nutrients are made available which include: calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Sprouting breaks down the complex sugars which produce digestive discomfort and inactivates carcinogens found in grains called aflatoxins.

The proper preparation of beans is a key to how well your family is able to receive nourishment from the food. If you need another reason (there are many) to not consume commercially canned foods, add this to the list. Establishing a lifetime of health for small children, in my opinion, means giving them every opportunity to BENEFIT from the foods they consume. Not sprouting beans (again, in my opinion) is like not taking the food out of the wrapper before requiring your family to eat them.

Even if your family does not have a member with fragile health or developmental issues, it is not a stretch to say that imbalances of the colon lead to chemical upheavals in the body that can have neurological implications. The human body is a system that makes constant adjustments to achieve balance. When we overtax that system, the most vital organs will suffer from the resulting imbalances. This includes brain development.

So, properly prepared, beans, grains, nuts – SEEDS – are a valuable part of an overall balanced and nutritious diet. Of course, you know if you’ve read much of my material, I’m going to recommend that you use organic beans that are free of pesticides and other chemical residue. :-D

HOW DO YOU SPROUT BEANS?

I soak them overnight in a covered container and rinse the next morning. I place a large piece of cheesecloth over the bowl and secure it with a rubber band. Then I turn the bowl downward at about a 45 degree angle so that it can drain. I find that setting it upturned in another bowl is good for this.

Throughout the day, I rinse with filtered water (chlorinated tap water is not recommended) and drain again (3 to 5 times). I've found that lentils sprout the quickest (they have the least phytic acid) -- usually the first day. Black beans are the next to sprout – just shy of two days. Pinto beans and kidney beans take about the same amount of time, two to three days. Most other larger varieties (chick peas, etc.) take about three days or a little longer. There isn't as much foaming when the beans are cooking after using this method. The process is very simple, but it does require a little planning ahead.

For cooking, I give the beans one more rinse and place in a stainless steel pot, covering them with filtered water. When the water is heated and foam appears, I skim the foam off of the beans and continue to simmer. Once the water has cooked down to about level with the top of the beans, I usually add homemade chicken broth (2 cups, of course, made from organic chickens) and some seasonings, allowing the pot to continue simmering on a low/medium heat for about 2 hours or longer (adding water as required).

Here are some of the spices I use when making a basic pot of beans. Everything is pretty much to your own taste.

  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Chili flakes
  • Coriander
  • Cumin
  • Garlic – one large or two small cloves
  • Onion – ½ large, chopped
  • Ground Pepper
  • Sage
  • Sea Salt
  • Thyme

My littlest ones won't eat overly spicy/hot dishes, but I find that the cayenne pepper has a nice flavor and (used in moderation) quite tasty in beans.

If you aren’t able to get your beans to sprout, I would be suspicious of whether or not the beans were truly free of chemicals. If a dried bean does not sprout it may have been treated with some sort of chemical or irradiated. If I had questions about a batch of beans, I would try to get a sample to sprout. I would be reluctant to consume beans that won’t sprout.

(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)(&**&)

Ezekiel 4:9
Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley,
and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches,
and put them in one vessel,



2 comments:

  1. Shiloh Strang said...
     

    Hello!
    I love your blog! I found you on welltellme.com and visit you regularly being especially blessed by you since my 6th child (boy) has a somewhat rare genetic syndrome called Noonan Syndrome. I really appreciate your simple trust in our Lord! Thank you for such great information and do keep it coming!
    In Christ,
    Cynthia
    www.ebenezerforestfarm.blogspot.com

  2. See the Blue Sky said...
     

    I have soaked beans and sprouted grains/seeds, but never sprouted beans to cook...I'm glad I tried this they were delicious..
    Mrs. B

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh