LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

Brewing an Enjoyable Cup of Tea

There really isn’t a wrong way to make tea. There are just better ways and not-so-great ways. I’m no expert. I am a lifelong tea drinker. Much to my parents’ dismay, I no longer drink the syrup known as sweet tea here in the southeastern United States. They’ve managed to adjust to this change. . . .

I digress.

I learned to love hot tea at a Chinese restaurant. Their green tea had a strong, smooth flavor and aroma that was WONDERFUL. It inspired me to go home and try to make my own. The result was a bitter, chemically tasting cup of disappointment.

So, the NEXT time I went to the Chinese restaurant, I asked them how they made such wonderful tea. All you needed was a teabag and some hot water, right? Well, yes and no. It takes a little more than that if you actually expect to enjoy the tea.

The first thing I learned was that you must use the purest, filtered water you can find. Chlorine has a taste and odor. Drinking tea is an aromatic experience. Water from the tap (even well water with its mineral content) will change the flavor of your tea in ways that are not always pleasant.

The second thing I learned was that you NEVER steep your tea in a metal pot or pan. Tea will react to metal and leech some of the metallic taste into the brew. This isn’t so much the case with stainless steel, but your best bet is to allow your tea to steep, covered, in a ceramic cup or teapot. The reason for covering the tea while it steeps is so that none of the essence of the tea will evaporate with the steam and so that the brew will not cool so quickly. The retained heat will help the tea brew properly.

The third thing I learned is that you boil the water, not the tea. This was hard for me to grasp as I grew up in a house where a busy mom tossed tea bags into cold water in a metal pot and placed the whole thing, uncovered onto the stove to boil (breaking a bag or two, usually) before she caught it and moved it to the side. But, if your goal is a satisfying cup of tea, you have to let go of the past. *wink*

In addition to using filtered water, you’ll want to pay attention to what kind of container you use to boil your water. A tea kettle isn’t required, but it is convenient as they come with pour spouts and a handle for ease of filling and pouring. I prefer to use stainless steel, enamel, or glass to boil water. However, I have found that the baked enamel kettles are not as durable and can peel with age, exposing metal that will rust when exposed to the water. I will not use no-stick containers. I don’t trust the coating to stay on the pan and out of my food.

When it comes to kettles, I like those that have both a large opening in the top for filling and cleaning as well as a pour spout with a hinged whistle cover. This keeps me from losing the cap when I get busy (by accidentally dropping it into the trash or down the drain). Even though I am using filtered water, I like having the ability to get into the kettle through the large opening to clean thoroughly on a regular basis. I use a vinegar and water solution for this task.

A tea pot is optional as well. If you have a glass container with a cover, or a cup with a saucer, you really have all you need. A tea pot is nice to have on hand when you know you will be drinking more than one cup. These can be expensive, but you don’t need to spend a lot of money. Find something that will make you happy without breaking the bank, and you’ll have just the right tea pot for you.

Here is my method for brewing tea:
1. Boil filtered water in a stainless steel container on your stove.

DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE TO BOIL WATER.
http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html

Food molecules - especially the molecules of water - have a positive and negative end in the same way a magnet has a north and a south polarity. . . .

Of all the natural substances - which are polar - the oxygen of water molecules reacts most sensitively. This is how microwave cooking heat is generated - friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed, called structural isomerism, and thus become impaired in quality.

2. Place tea leaves (or bag) into your tea cup, tea pot, or glass container. When the water on the stove comes to a boil, pour it over your tea in the container and cover with a lid. Your tea leaves can be placed inside of a clean cloth bag, a stainless steel ball, a special infuser, or left loose to steep in the water. Allow the tea to steep for about 5 to 10 minutes. Longer steeping times produce a stronger tea.

3.Strain your tea and serve with your choice of sweeteners. Some people prefer cream in their tea. I do not. For sweeteners, I prefer stevia, agave nectar or xylitol. Some people prefer honey, but I do not as (to my taste) it tends to overpower the tea.

This picture shows you some other options for brewing containers. You can allow your tea to steep in something as simple as a glass jar with a lid. You can use a regular tea cup and place the saucer over the top during the steeping. When it is time to strain your tea, you can pour it through something as simple as a bit of cheesecloth or use a special basket made for that purpose. You may prefer to leave the tea in the bottom of the cup. The choice is yours.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh