LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

What makes you an expert?

I’m not a master herbalist. I don’t claim to be the final authority in herbs, herbal blends or natural medicine. I only know what works for us. I believe that each family deserves the opportunity to be informed and make the best decision for their own health. What little I’ve gleaned, I share for that reason.

I’m not interested in short term solutions. Health, for me, is a lifelong journey. I don’t just want to know what works, but I want to know why it works. When it comes to my family, I want to be informed about the options. I want to know more than what the published promotional material says. I want to understand the issue to the best of my ability.

If I want to know about a prescription, I ask the pharmacist. The doctor might know my medical history (if he/she bothers to review the chart) and symptoms and treatments available. Doctors, however, are not always carrying around a database of the medicines available to treat various conditions. Not only can the pharmacist can tell me what prescriptions are on the market, he/she can tell me what is IN the medicine and how or if it would react with something I was already taking or eating. The pharmacist can alert me to possible side effects. If I am trying to avoid coloring agents and sugar substitutes, the pharmacist can tell me which prescription meets my requirements. A compounding pharmacist can also figure out another way to administer the prescription if I can’t take it orally. Sometimes, my first call before a medical examination is to the pharmacist. Armed with a list of the pharmacist’s recommendations, I then consult a physician for a diagnosis.

My approach to herbs is similar. I want to know what is in them. I want to understand what makes them work the way they do. I want to know how they can be effectively administered. I want to know what is safe and effective. I want to know what is gentle and what is harsh.

My Granny is a master craftswoman when it comes to crochet. If she has an entry in the state fair, you might as well not bother entering. She’ll likely take most of the ribbons home. So I went to Granny when I wanted to learn how to crochet. I wanted to know what she knew. Her response? “You can read. You’ll learn better than I can show you if you’ll just get one of those how-to books and take the time to look over the instructions.”

Well, my feelings were a little hurt, but I decided she must know what she was talking about. I purchased some books and sat down with a crochet hook and some yarn. I worked until I found a mistake and then undid the work and reworked that area. I learned ‘by the book,’ just like Granny said. She was right after all.

Like a tangled ball of yarn, I’ve found that herbs reveal their secrets to those who are willing to patiently research and follow some simple instructions. I depend on published reference material for my information. I share what I learn here, but I encourage you to also research on your own. You’ll notice right away that some materials are better than others. You’ll see outlandish statements that claim all herbs are created equal or that only one brand name can offer you the results you desire. Keep searching. Keep reading. Find the answers to your questions. The information is out there. You have the right to know.

Why depend upon some pre-mixed potion with ingredients you don’t understand? You are the expert on your family, what touches them, their environment and their diet. Take the information available and combine it with what you know. The plan you come up with will be a wonderful blend of effective practicality.

Like Granny said, all it takes is a little patience and a willingness to learn.

Disclaimer: None of this is to be considered a substitute for medical examination and/or treatment. Use what you will, but do so knowing that you must consider your own circumstance and the application of these things with sound judgment.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh