LEARNING

Learning At The Potter's Wheel is a collection of articles on home, family, marriage, parenting, natural medicine and herbs. . . along with a few other items of interest. Have fun sorting through my junk drawer of assorted thoughts and ramblings.

AT THE POTTER'S WHEEL

The Potter has persisted in giving me treasures I don't always understand or appreciate. Patiently, He is teaching me to trust that all I really need to know is that I am in HIS hands. . .

Congestion Clearing Tea

I read about this recipe from an article I saw on Bulk Herb Store's web site. It would be difficult for me to explain adequately how well it relieves congestion. If you are suffering with the head-throbbing, packed sinuses that tug at your inner ear whenever you swallow, this stuff is for you. We like it because it is natural, gentle and EFFECTIVE.

Place 1 teaspoon of fresh, minced garlic in 6 oz hot water. Steep for 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Honey to taste.

Today, I had a house full of stuffy kiddos, so I prepared a larger batch. I minced a large elephant clove of garlic and placed it into a large stainless steel mesh tea ball. After the filtered water boiled on the stove, I poured it over the tea ball in a tea pot and let it steep, covered. Meanwhile, I made a show of setting out special cups and saucers for our 'tea.' *wink*

I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into each cup and placed the honey jar on the table. After 15 minutes, I poured the garlic tea into each cup with a generous teaspoon of honey. They drank it down like it was nectar. No more stuffy noses! Hooray *smile*

My children now ask for this 'special tea' if they so much as sneeze. It’s important to use a fresh garlic clove as pills, tablets, powders & etc. have had their beneficial properties processed out. Also, because this is in the form of a tea, we haven’t seen any of the problems with lingering odor or indigestion.

One other caution: have a tissue ready because after just a few sips, that stuff will leave your head -- and you will feel WONDERFUL!



2 comments:

  1. Danica Favorite said...
     

    Thanks so much for this great recipe! I felt a cold coming on the other day and tried it. The kids could barely gag it down, but I loved it. Their noses are running like faucets, but I feel fine.

  2. DesertSpring said...
     

    My kids didn't like the tea at first, either. I just added a bit more honey. That made it taste like sweet pickle juice which they LOVED. The taste, combined with how well it clears stuffy noses makes it one of the first remedies that they ask for when fighting a cold.

    I'm glad to know it helped, Danica and hope you are feeling better soon. :-)

Post a Comment

Post a Comment



 

Alfalfa

Chickweed

Henna

Hydrangea

Hyssop

Plantain

Muellin

Myrrh